20 Jul Rainy Day Skills Building
Rainy Day Skills Building – 3 Basketball Drills you can do inside your home!
Spring showers bring summer flowers… and also time inside when there may be no gym time available!
Here are three simple activities that you can do inside that will work on your skills & save you from the couch potato blues.
- To improve ball handling – try these drills that improve ball handling without actually having to dribble indoors:
- Circles – keeping your head up, start passing the ball from one hand to another with your fingertips, making circles around both legs, then your stomach, then your head. Reverse direction. As you get more comfortable, you can then combine them to start at your head & move down your body to your ankles, and back up again.
- Figure 8s – standing with one leg forward & your knees slightly bent, pass the ball from one hand to another with your fingertips, making a figure 8 motion as you move the ball around your legs. Do 1 minute one direction, then reverse. Remember to keep your head up!
- To improve shooting – lie flat on the ground and practice shooting the ball so that it goes straight up and down again. While doing this you can visualize the ball going into the net.
- Lie flat & hold the ball in your shooting hand, balancing it on the pads of your hand & your fingertips.
- You can use your other hand to help balance the ball in your shooting hand, but it should not be involved in the shot.
- Shoot the ball into the air, using your wrist to assist the shot but not flicking your wrist (a natural follow through motion with the wrist).
- After you extend your arm for your shot, follow through by holding it straight while the ball is in the air.
- Catch the ball, again using the pads of your hand & your fingertips. The ball should go straight up & down, you should not need to move your hand to catch the ball.
- Repeat – Do this 50 times.
- To increase your vertical jumps (hops!) – try these toe raises. Stand on a step or bench with your heels hanging over the edge. Slowlyraise onto your toes, and then lower yourself as far as possible. Repeat.